20 May 2012

The first Newcastle Beauty Heaven meet-up

As I mentioned yesterday, I went to the first Newcastle meet-up of Beauty Heaven members at Charlestown Square today. There were three of us, plus a son who didn't get involved in the conversation. Caitlin was the first to arrive, and claimed a table for us. Beforehand, she had posted that she'd be wearing red fingerless gloves, which made it very easy to spot her because when I arrived I could see those gloves from half way across the food court. :)

Charlestown Square has free parking for the first 3 hours, so we all decided to leave before we had to pay for parking, That meant that we spent about 2 hours chatting. Part way through, both of the others went and bought some lunch while I minded the table. Since I'd arrived at about 12:55, I had a few minutes to drop into Tree of Life and say hello to the friendly staff there before heading home. While there, the lovely Jordan snapped a couple of photos for me.

This is the same store where the manager, Sharon, took my photo back in April 2010. It wasn't until I was typing this that I realised just how long ago that was. I think that I've come a long way since then. Back then, I'd paint my nails for an outing then thoroughly clean all the polish off for fear that someone would notice. Back then, I'd hide under a wig for fear that someone would recognise me. I guess now I don't really care if they do. :)

After I got home, I realised that I had 2 letters with me that I was supposed to post. That might sound odd, but Australia Post clear post boxes not Friday evening but Sunday evening for Monday morning sorting, so as long as things are posted early enough on Sunday, they will be delivered a day sooner than if they are posted on Monday. So, after sitting down and having a cup of tea, I got back in the car and ducked around to a local post box, posted them and came back home. There were about 3 or 4 people standing in the front yard of a house across the street from the post box smoking and arguing loudly enough that I wondered if they were drunk. I was relieved that they didn't appear to pay me any attention.

I had another outing this evening. Being Sunday night, nobody felt like cooking, so I went to our local Subway to buy dinner. While the two young women behind the counter were not the ones who were there a couple of weeks ago, they have both served me numerous times when I've been there as a male. One was serving someone else when I arrived, so the other began serving me and when the first woman had finished with the previous customer, she stayed at the register and took the money for mine while the other woman finished preparing the food.

The woman who had prepared the food looked at me with just the slightest hint of a puzzled look as she was handing the food to me, but aside from that there was no indication that either of them had recognised me. What sort of conversation might have occurred after I left, I have no idea!

With any luck, now that my routine is settling in, I may soon get back into regularly attending the cafe nights again. After only 5 outings so far this year including today, outing number 6 might be only a couple of days away!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you girl! The fact you're so comfy with yourself tells volumes. In fact it shouts!

    I would take the guys arguing across from the post box as a good indication of my life. And the confused girls at Subway, too.

    Hope you have many outings as Alice. God bless you! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you guys managed the meet up! We're still struggling here in Melbourne!

    Btw, good on you for being proud of who you are, I think it's wonderful that you're so comfortable with who you are and everything that makes you special!

    xx

    ReplyDelete