09 November 2012

Rapid preparations

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm going to Lindy Charm School tomorrow. I'm feeling a combination of trepidation and elation. Trepidation because I don't know how I'll be received, how well I'll be able to keep up, or even if I'll be able to get everything organised in such a short time. Elation because it's something that I've wanted to do since the first time I ever heard of it, but never thought that I'd even be game to ask.

Yesterday afternoon, I had my nails done in a nice solid slightly orangey red, and took off a bit of length to get them somewhat like the 1950s style.

I also dragged out my makeup brush roll and thoroughly washed the lot, whether I thought they needed it or not. I was a bit of a shock to realise that of the 24 brushes left after I threw out a disintegrated foam tipped applicator, I use around 18 of them for a normal makeup application!

On the information for what to take with you, it says

Your own make up – Don’t stress if you do not possess much but a mascara, eye liner, foundation, cheek stain, & lippy would be good.
I'm looking at what I'd tend to pack thinking that I could be embarrassed for the opposite reason ~ having way too much makeup, too many brushes etc. 

I also have 3 new brushes still in their packaging, including a 2nd foundation brush that I'll put into my roll when I wash the other one after doing my makeup in the morning. Makeup is one of the reasons I'm not sure how I'll go. I guess that we'd be expected to turn up without any and apply it during the lesson, but I don't think that I could go out en femme without makeup ~ my skin just isn't good enough to do that! I'll go for minimal eye makeup and try to keep the rest subtle so that I can build up over it. That's about the best I can do.

It also said that, for the intermediate class (the afternoon session), I'd also need to take

2 Slide Combs (matching your hair colour)
Hot Rollers and/or Hot Sticks
I didn't have any of these, so I did a little shopping last night and picked up a couple of packets of slide combs and a hot roller set. I couldn't find the bright orange combs that used to be common, but for less than $3 each, I grabbed a pack of clear and a pack of darker brown. I suspect that the clear will work better but at least I've got the option.

I see the hot rollers as an investment. I've never done much with my hair before, but I liked the way the huge bun worked for me, so this might be the start of much more adventurous hair styling for me. :)

I still have to work out what to wear. I've got so many pairs of heels that would work well with many of my dresses, but I don't have flats that would look right and I'm not sure that my modern heels would be the right thing to wear...

2 comments:

  1. Alice, this sounds like it will be so much fun.

    Have a great time and be sure to take pictures.

    All the best.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to plenty of photos! Hope you have a great time, I'm sure you will!

    ReplyDelete